A penile implant is a device that is placed into a man’s body and is designed to help him get an erection. Get the facts on an alternative long-term treatment, that is covered by many insurance plans, which allows an erection as often as you like, for as long as you wish.
There are two basic types of penile implants that Coloplast offers:
1. The Titan Touch® and Titan® OTR inflatable penile implant
2. The Genesis™ flexible rod penile implant
Both enable men with erectile dysfunction to have a satisfactory erection for sexual intercourse and to experience the joys of sex again. You should be able to have an orgasm with a penile implant if you were able to have one before your surgery, unless you have another medical problem that affects it. Consult your physician about this. The primary difference between the two implant types is that flexible rod implants (the Genesis) produce a permanently firm penis, while the inflatable implants (the Titan) produce a controlled, more natural erection.
Some facts about Coloplast’s penile implants:
The Coloplast Titan Touch inflatable penile implant is a self-contained, fluid-filled system made from Bioflex and silicone. Bioflex is a supple, durable biopolymer material.
- The only IPP with a true lockout valve located at the base of the reservoir
- Designed to emulate the look and performance of a natural erection
- Pump design has a non-bulky, low-profile size
The Titan Touch inflatable penile implant offers a dependable method of restoring sexual function.
- It is the result of advanced engineering and medical research designed with your needs in mind
- It offers hope to many men with E.D.
- It provides an option where other treatments are not appropriate or have failed
Patient satisfaction rates
- 93.8% of patients were moderately or completely satisfied with their penile implant choice, far outpacing satisfaction levels for Viagra (51.6%) or injection therapy (40.9%)1 .
Mechanical reliability rates
- Recent studies show the Coloplast Alpha 1 and Titan to have mechanical reliability rates of 97.5% after five years on first time implants 2 .
- When implanted, the Coloplast Titan penile implant is not visibly noticeable. The penis appears relaxed and normal in the flaccid state, and it is not obvious by looking at a man that he has an implant.
Lifetime replacement policy
- Coloplast provides a lifetime replacement policy with all of its penile implants. Coloplast will replace the inflatable implant, or any component, for any reason during the lifetime of the patient.
Titan Touch Inflate/Deflate animation
1. Rajpurkar A, Dhabuwala C., Comparison of satisfaction rates and erectile function in patients treated with sildenafil, intracavernous prostaglandin E1 and penile implant surgery for erectile dysfunction in urology practice. J Urol. July 2003; 170(1):159-163.
Frequently asked questions
Will I lose any length after getting a penile implant?
Each penile implant is custom fitted to your anatomy. Discuss this in greater detail with your physician.
Will I be able to have spontaneous erections with a penile implant?
No. In order to place the implant in the body, the corpora containing the spongy tissue is removed to make room for the cylinders. If you are still able to have erections on your own, which are satisfactory for intercourse, you should consider very carefully whether or not an implant is the right fix for you. However, if you cannot have erections or if they are not satisfactory for intercourse, then an implant will be able to provide you with a more “instant” erection when compared to pills, or vacuum devices.
What is the recovery time?
Each individual is different and therefore their recovery will be different as well. Typical recovery is between 4-6 weeks. Your physician will determine what you can and cannot do during this time. It is important to follow the recommendations that your physician gives to you to ensure the best outcome.
Is the cost of a penile implant covered by insurance?
A penile implant is prescribed by your physician. Most insurance, including Medicare, cover the implant. Check with your physician’s office to determine your actual cost.
What makes the Genesis® and Titan® Touch different?
Both implants provide you with the capability of having an erection satisfactory for intercourse. The main difference is that the Genesis penile implant is a malleable implant consisting of 2 rods that are placed in the corpora cavernosa. There are no further parts to this implant. To have an erection, you only need to hold the penis and move it into the desired position. When you are finished you return the penis to the previous position. With the Titan Touch penile implant, you inflate the cylinders by pressing the pump bulb in the scrotum. You can control the firmness by pumping until you are satisfied with the erection. The best thing is to discuss each implant with your physician to make sure that you are getting the implant that is appropriate for you.
Are there risks associated with the penile implant?
As with any surgery, there are some risks associated with the penile implant procedure including pain, anaesthesia reactions, repeat surgery due to infections, or mechanical problems with the device. Discuss this in greater detail with your physician.
Will anyone notice that I have an implant?
Since the implant is completely placed inside your body, no one will see the implant. In fact, no one will know unless you tell them.
Can I have an orgasm with a penile implant?
You should be able to have an orgasm with a penile implant if you were able to have one before your procedure. Consult your physician about your expected outcome.